In 1927, the Municipal Council of the City of Brussels decided to build a stadium, which could accommodate “all” sports, on the borders of the Heysel plateau. The building work began in 1929 and the Centenary Stadium was inaugurated on 23 August 1930, on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the independence of Belgium. On that day, the crowd was already on hand for the first event that marked the kick-off for years of shows, meetings and entertainment: the Track Cycling World Championships.
It was only three weeks later, on 14 September, that His Royal Highness Prince Leopold officially opened the Stadium with the Belgian-Dutch football derby.
1946: after the Second World War, the Stadium takes the name of the district that hosts it and it is now at the “Heysel Stadium” that the magic of sport will enchant fans of shows. The wooden track of the Centenary Stadium has disappeared, probably used as firewood under the occupation. The Stadium has now regained its original function and offers a number of popular events that are attracting more and more people to the Heysel plateau. In boxing, the Cerdan-Delannoit fight of 23 May 1948 was one of the most famous, fought in Belgium.
King Baudouin Stadium
The ’90s saw the Euro 2000. To do so, the Stadium needs to get a new look: it will therefore be renovated and renamed.
The reconstruction of the “old” Heysel Stadium is a testimony to the collaboration between the various levels of power in federal Belgium. On the 25th of October 1993, a memorandum of understanding was signed between:
The federal State (because of the international role of the Stadium)
The City of Brussels (owner of the infrastructure)
The Brussels-Capital Region
The ASBL Parc des Expositions de Bruxelles (Brussels Exhibition Centre)
The Royal Belgian Football Association
They all agree to jointly ensure the renovation of the Heysel Stadium.